Arthur Preston started to practise in 1876 in High Street, Abingdon. JHH Wenn joined as an articled clerk in the early 1880s.
By 1885 the business had moved to 55 Cornmarket Street, Oxford where it remained until 1957.
Turn of the century
Preston retired in 1908 but continued to serve the community, including a three-year stint as Mayor of Abingdon. Joseph Wenn partnered with John Elsom and took over the company.
Pre war years
Elsom retired in 1920 and Ernest White became a partner of Wenn. White was a key figure in the firm, having joined in 1891.
Harold Gray joined as an articled clerk of Ernest White in 1925. The pair managed a combined service of over 100 years. Wenn died in 1933.
James Townsend became a partner in 1947 but sadly died just a year later.
White retired in 1947 and Harold Gary took over the firm in partnership with Graham Watson. They remained partners until 1974, during which time they upsized to a former public house in St. Giles, where the Oxford office remains to this day.
Run up to the millenium
At the turn of the century some of our current partners were just starting their journeys with the firm. The rise of digital technologies led us to innovate and evolve the way we work, but our ethos and partner-led, personable approach have never been diluted by the technology we use.
Wenn Townsend acquired Wallingford-based Colman Felton and Co in 2006 and Robert George & Co in Cirencester the following year as part of a period of growth for the firm. Since then, all three offices have enjoyed substantial development and continue to train and build a highly knowledgeable team.
During the past few years our refreshingly clear approach to accounting has guided our clients through changes in legislation and some very unpredictable economic hurdles.